Emergency Response Update – Suspect in Custody
Listuguj, May 15, 2021 – An individual is now in custody following a reported active shooter situation in the community. An active crime investigation is underway and there will be an increased police presence within the community as the investigation continues. Community members are asked to stay clear of the area.
Details are limited at this time; however, we can confirm that:
- The Listuguj Police Department responded to a situation involving an active shooter barricaded at 94 Riverside West.
- Additional support was requested to assist in the response and in securing the area, to protect those living nearby, and isolate the situation.
- The suspect surrendered voluntarily and is now in custody.
- Emergency responders counted two fatalities on-scene.
- The residence remains an active crime scene and investigation is on-going.
“On behalf of myself and Council, our hearts are with you. Our government will continue to make every effort to provide support for those in need through these difficult times. In the coming days, LMG will have services available to those impacted.” says Chief Darcy Gray.
Out of respect for the families, the Listuguj Mi’gmaq Government will not be providing any further details and will not be accepting media requests.