Our community has experienced tremendous loss with the passing of four community members the past four weeks. The Listuguj Mi’gmaq Government, through the Office of Chief and Council, Executive Office, and Listuguj Community Social Services Directorate (LCSS), have coordinated support services for community members as our relatives begin their respective journey into the Spirit World.
All community members and LMG Staff are welcome to access the following services:
- Tobacco was offered and a Sacred Fire was lit Wednesday, May 11 at 7:00 pm. The Sacred Fire will continue until Thursday, May 12 at 5:00 pm at the Healing Grounds.
- Support is available on-site throughout the duration of the Sacred Fire.
- The LCSS has arranged for grief counselling to start at 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Thursday at the Healing Grounds.
- There will be soup, sandwiches, and snacks available at the Healing Grounds throughout the day on Thursday.
- Counselling services are available after the sacred fire has ended.
If you can volunteer as a sacred fire keeper, please go to the Healing Grounds, and seek out Roseanne or Christine.
A friendly reminder that the Listuguj Community Health Services will be closed on May 12, 2022. Alaqsite’w Gitpu School will remain open, but there will be no classes.
In addition to these services, we would like to remind staff that they are eligible for time off through our LMG HR Bereavement Policy. Community members previously scheduled for appointments for May 12, 2022, are encouraged to confirm their appointments prior to attending.
On behalf of the Office of Chief and Council and Executive Office we extend our heartfelt condolences to the families and loved ones of Brenda Lee Barnaby, Edmond Condo, Mark Wysote, and Patsy Gray.