Junior University Health Science Summer Camp 2019
Information & Application Package
Dalhousie’s Faculty of Medicine Indigenous Health Program is happy to be accepting applications for the 2019 Junior University Health Science Summer Camps (Formally the Indigenous Health Science Summer Camp). Indigenous Nova Scotian students from across Nova Scotia who are interested in a career in health are invited to apply for this unique opportunity. The purpose of the camp is to increase interest in the health professions within the Indigenous community. The camp will introduce youth to a variety of health professions through fun, hands-on and interactive programming. The camp will also consist of personal development, cultural and recreational activities such as drumming, swimming and other outdoor activities.
Youth can apply for the one or all of the following summer opportunities:
- Halifax, Dalhousie University – July 7-11, 2019 (Grade 8, 9, 10, 11)
- Antigonish, St. FX University – July 16-19, 2019 (Grade 8, 9, 10, 11) *
- Sydney, Cape Breton University– July 22-25, 2019 (Grade 8, 9, 10, 11) *
*In collaboration with PLANS (African NS Health Science Summer Camp)
Accepted students will arrive on the first day of the camp and remain on the respective campus until the final day. This is an overnight camp – accommodations, meals and snacks are provided. Participants will be responsible for their transportation to and from home.
Submit the following by Monday, May 27th, 2019:
- Completed application form with signatures from student and parent/guardian
- Personal letter of interest (maximum 1 page; typed or hand written) describing the following:
- What you like to do for fun, where you live and your community, what your favorite school subjects are, and why you would like to attend the camp.
- Completed Student Reference Form from a one of the following: principal, vice-principal, teacher, guidance counsellor, Student Support Worker, or Regional Educator.
- For Grade 10 and 11 students’ proof of enrollment in science classes must also be included (i.e. transcript, letter from teacher, PowerSchool print out)
For further information, please feel free to contact me at 902 494-7700 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Indigenous Health Program Manager
Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University
5849 University Avenue
Halifax NS B3J 1B6
Office : 902-494-7700
Cell : 902 717 0075
Email – Joe.MacEachern@dal.ca