The Listuguj Mi’gmaq Government would like to remind the community that an impending significant snow storm is forecasted today into tomorrow. Heavy snowfall amount with high winds and freezing rain will diminish visibility that may lead to road closures for travelers. It is inadvisable for lengthy road travel at this time.
Weather media outlets have issued Winter Storm Warnings for this region.
The LMG would like to remind community members that during periods of heavy snowfall and high winds to minimize pedestrian traffic as Public Works vehicles will be circulating to keep public roadways opened. Also a reminder to keep parked motor vehicles off the roadway.
Make sure an emergency kit, such as food and water, is available in the event of a power outage. Families with elders and vulnerable persons, please monitor closely and contact the Listuguj Police Department for any emergencies.
Please bring in your pets as they will be vulnerable to the climate and secure movable articles on your property in anticipation of high winds.
Please do not throw snow onto the public roadways or private property.
Basic Emergency Kit
Due to the impending snow storm, here are some items you may consider having in your home:
- Water – at least two liters of water per person per day; include small bottles that can be carried easily in case of an evacuation order
- Food that won’t spoil, such as canned food, energy bars and dried foods (replace food and water once a year)
- Manual can-opener
- Crank or battery-powered flashlight (and extra batteries). Replace batteries once a year.
- Crank or battery-powered radio (and extra batteries) or Weather radio
- First aid kit
- Extra keys to your car and house
- Some cash in smaller bills, such as $10 bills and change for payphones
- A copy of your emergency plan and contact information
- If applicable, other items such as prescription medication, infant formula, equipment for people with disabilities, or food, water and medication for your pets or service animal (personalize according to your needs)