https://listuguj.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/20046535_10158938412575328_3188858954418365716_n.png 500 500 Mike Isaac /wp-content/uploads/2017/02/logo-lrg.png Mike Isaac2019-09-20 13:32:172019-09-20 13:33:14The Listuguj Education, Training and Employment’s Mi’gmaq Immersion Program is Seeking Silent Speakers
The Listuguj Education, Training and Employment’s Mi’gmaq Immersion Program is Seeking Silent Speakers
Do you think you are a Silent Speaker? Do you want to build confidence to speak and use your language?
We want to organize a language program especially for you!
Who is a silent speaker?
A silent speaker is someone who understands a language well but does not speak it. There are many different kinds of silent speakers.
- Residential school survivors who spoke their language before attending
- People who grew up hearing a language and understand it but do not speak
- People who grew up with a fluent speaker in the home and understand the language but do not speak
- People who have studied extensively and have developed a high level of ability in reading and writing their language but do not speak
- Speakers who moved away from the community for some time and do not feel comfortable speaking now that they have moved
- Speakers who speak a different dialect of the same language and do not feel comfortable speaking within a community where another dialect is more
- Speakers who simply haven’t spoken for years because they haven’t really had anyone to speak
Who is NOT a Silent Speakers?
- A new language
- Language learners with beginner or intermediate language proficiency.
- Someone who lost their abilities due to stroke or other health
- A speaker who can speak comfortably in most
Kindly return completed surveys to the Listuguj Education Complex, (418) 788-2248 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download and fill out Silent Speakers Survey here.
Paper copies are also available in the reception area of the Listuguj Mi’gmaq Government Administration building.