UPDATE: Closure has been extended to April 15, 2020. Click here for more details.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Listuguj Mi’gmaq Government Responds to Covid-19
In collaboration with staff and senior management of the LMG, Chief and Council have adopted the following measures in response to growing public health concern surrounding COVID-19. These measures take effect immediately and are consistent with the recommendations made by the Federal and Provincial Health Authorities, including actions recently taken by our sister communities.
As of March 17, 2020 at 6:30 p.m.:
- LMG buildings will be closed to the public for a period of 14 calendar days.
- Regular operations are expected to resume Wednesday, April 1, 2020, but will be reassessed prior to the end of the 14 calendar day period. A memo confirming the re-opening or extended closure of LMG will be circulated prior to April 1.
- Staff deemed essential to day-to-day operations will be contacted by their Directors for further instruction. Staff who have not been contacted by their directors are asked to stay home until further notice (regular payroll will be processed as scheduled).
Departmental response plans to COVID-19:
- Administration: LMG Communications will be working on a rotational basis to address on-going emergency communication needs. The Post Office and AVCell will continue their daily operations. For general inquiries regarding LMG closures, please call the Band Office at (418) 788-2136 between 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m., Monday to Friday.
- Capital and Infrastructure: Public Works will be doing garbage pick up on Mondays and Thursdays only from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Please try to limit your curbside garbage during the LMG closure period.
- Listuguj Community Health Services: Community members wishing to speak to a nurse can call the Health Center at (418) 788-2155 from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., Monday to Friday. Outside of these hours, please call the Covid-19 national hotline: 1-877-644-4545. Please note that their walk-in clinic is closed until further notice. Home Care Services are currently suspended but measures are being taken to support high risk and high priority clients.
- Education, Training, and Employment: The Alaqsite’w Gitpu School will remain closed. All training opportunities will be postponed until further notice. Important notices for parents and staff will be sent through LETE Facebook page.
- Finance: Financial services will continue daily operations at a limited capacity. There will be no interruption in the processing of payroll. RL-31 forms will still be available to fill out over the phone with Hayley Isaac. She can be reached at (581) 884-1390, Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Natural Resources: The Natural Resources Directorate will remain open until Wednesday, March 18th, at 12:00 p.m. to complete pre-employment registration for the upcoming fishing season. Effective Thursday, March 19th, NR will maintain essential services from home. For emergencies or other urgent matters, please contact James Metallic-Sloan at (418) 865-4045.
- Social Services: Child and Family Services, the Gignu, Social Assistance, and Haven House will continue operations on a limited rotational basis. For more information, please contact Social Service directly at (418) 788-3039 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., Monday to Friday.
- Public Security: Essential services will continue to operate unless otherwise instructed by their supervisor.
Employees that are forced to stay home as a result of these measures will not be penalized and will be paid as usual. It will not impact employees’ sick or vacation time, as this is a special circumstance.
Business Owners within Listuguj Lands
The community response to COVID-19 goes beyond the operations of the LMG. Local stores and establishments that chose to remain open at this time should take all necessary measures to ensure a clean and safe environment for their staff and customers. As potential points of amplification, it is their responsibility to sanitize all frequently touched surfaces in their retail locations and to be mindful of the need to maintain social distancing for both staff and customers.
Community Care Approach
- Social distancing does not mean social isolation. Call a loved one, and check-in on your family members, even if it’s through Messenger or FaceTime.
- Stay home if you’re sick, wash your hands frequently with soap and warm water, avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth, and avoid any unnecessary contact with others.
For further updates or amendments to the response plan, please consult the LMG Website and social media pages as important information will be shared as it becomes available.