Listuguj Community Health Services is pleased to announce that we now offer Diabetic Retinopathy screening through telemedicine.
Diabetic Retinopathy is among one of the complication of diabetes, occurring when high blood sugar, blood pressure, and/or cholesterol levels damage the small blood vessels in the retina of the eye over time.
Symptoms of Diabetic Retinopathy:
- Diminishing vision in one or both eyes that may come about rapidly
- Blurry or double vision
- Fluctuating vision
- Dark floating spots in the field of vision
- Blank spots in vision
Can Diabetic Retinopathy be prevented?
- Research has shown that controlling blood sugar and blood pressure levels can delay the development of retinopathy or slow its progression
- Regular annual eye exams with the ophthalmologist can reduce the incidence, as well as, severity of diabetic retina complications
Who is at higher risk?
- Individuals living with Diabetes for a longer duration
- Individuals with uncontrolled diabetes
- High blood pressure
How is Diabetic Retinopathy treated?
- Laser therapy is the main treatment for DR and are highly effective
- Your ophthalmologist with discuss the benefits and risks of treatment with you
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
Contact Tasha Doiron at Listuguj Community Health Services for a screening at the Health Centre