The Listuguj Mi’gmaq Government has been working diligently to assist community members with flooded homes since Saturday, April 28th, 2018. Over 40 homes in Listuguj were affected. We were able to purchase 26 pumps with the help from community members who traveled to get them. We would like to thank the Listuguj Fire Department, Rangers and Public Works for working around the clock to manage the pumps at the Mi’gmaq Star and Beaulieu Turn and to bring pumps to homes.
The Listuguj Mi’gmaq Government will be taking the following action in the next few days. If you require immediate assistance with flooding, please contact the emergency centre at 418-788-2222.
After Mass Assessment (Damage):
- A preliminary assessment will be done with all the houses that were affected by stating the Damage with Pictures if possible, also identifying the vulnerable houses that required to keep the pump in case of more flooding.
- Detailed estimate for house repairs.
- Determining where to proceed next with other forms of prevention. (mold, mildew etc.)
- Monitor Water level and drainage channels.
- Monitor Pump Performance.
- Purchase additional equipment to ensure that we are more adequately prepared in the future.
- Case Report to include the crisis causes and future action to mitigate the risk of flooding in the future.
Preparations for potential risks:
- Pump Collection and Inventory. If homes require pumps at any time the LMG can assist in a more timely manner.
- Make sure a shelter is ready for anyone who would may need to be displaced.