North Shore Micmac District Council
Position: Housing Technician
Supervisor: Director of Technical Services
Main Office: North Shore MicMac District Council Office,
38 MicMac Road, Eel Ground, New Brunswick E1V 4B1
Application Deadline: 12:00 pm (AST) on Friday, August 30th, 2019
Start Date: TBD
Employment Term: One-Year Contract with Possibility of Renewal
The Housing Technician will be required to travel to First Nation communities throughout Atlantic Canada. The successful candidate must have a valid driver’s license and clean criminal record.
Scope of Position:
The Housing Technician will be responsible for assisting the Technical Services Team with the administration and delivery of various housing programs for Atlantic First Nation communities. The technician shall assist Technical Services Team in:
- Assisting in the administration and management of the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) On-Reserve Inspection Program for all Atlantic Provinces.
- Completing various inspections and reports for CMHC’s On-Reserve Inspection Program for all Atlantic Provinces.
- Performing Building Code Compliance Inspections including Plans Review, Pre-backfill, Predrywall and Final Inspections.
- Identifying potential funding sources for small infrastructure and housing projects from organizations such as: ISC, CMHC, AAS, FNIHB;
- Research and drafting of request for proposals based on identified potential funding sources;
- Proposal preparation in the areas of infrastructure and housing;
- Cost estimating of small infrastructure and housing projects;
- Assisting in the management of housing projects, housing programs, policy development and updating / creation of housing databases for multiple First Nation communities;
- Assisting in capacity development at the community level for infrastructure and housing staff;
- Serving as a liaison between the community and contractors, consultants and governmental organizations;
- Staying informed of any new First Nation Housing programs and / or initiatives that may provide benefit to the NSMDC and its member communities including viable business opportunities.
Please note that the technical and administrative duties outlined above are not exhaustive and other duties may be required.
Formal Education and Preferred Training:
- Diploma or bachelor’s degree in Engineering Technology, Business or Science Program
- Certificate in Housing Inspection or Construction related trade
- 5+ years of residential inspection related experience
- 3+ years of construction project management in public and / or private sector
- 3+ years of management and / or administration in a municipality or First Nation community
- Knowledge of current regulations, codes and standards for housing construction
- Experience in preparing RFP’s and proposals
- Experience working with First Nation communities
- Ability to provide effective leadership through daily responsibilities.
- Ability to analyze and assess programs, policies, and operational needs and make appropriate adjustments to ensure efficiency and effective service delivery.
- Ability to identify and respond to sensitive community and organizational issues, concerns and needs.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team to meet required deadlines.
- Strong research and investigative skills.
- Excellent report and writing skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Spoken and written English is essential; proficiency in Mi’kmaq will be considered an asset.
If you are a professional willing to work with and advance First Nation communities in the areas of infrastructure and housing, then this is an exciting opportunity. This position will appeal to a high energy, highly collaborative professional with innovative thinking and great communication skills.
Kindly submit a cover letter, resume and three current professional references to:
North Shore Micmac District Council
c/o Maggie Stothart, P.Eng., Technical Services Manager
38 Micmac Road Eel Ground, NB, E1V 4B1
Salary will be based on education, experience and qualifications of the successful candidate. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com