The Listuguj Chief and Council, in collaboration with the COVID-19 Emergency Response Team are advising community members that additional measures have been deemed necessary to help curb the potential spread of COVID-19 in our community.
The following measures have been approved by Council, and take effect immediately:
- The gas station and convenience stores (selling food and other necessities) are essential and can remain open. All essential businesses operating within Listuguj Lands are required to take the appropriate measures of reducing the risk of transmitting COVID-19, which includes disinfecting frequently touched surfaces and providing stations for customers/staff to wash or sanitize their hands.
- Non-essential visits to Listuguj (e.g. gambling) increases the risk of exposing our community members to COVID-19. Effective immediately, all gaming operations within Listuguj Lands are directed to cease operations until further notice.
- Cannabis stores with temporary permits, are required to adjust their hours of operation from 12 noon to 8 p.m. This is in addition to taking the appropriate measures of disinfecting frequently touched surfaces and providing stations for customers/staff to wash or sanitize their hands.
- All community gathering locations including churches and other such buildings/facilities are directed to be closed to the public.
- Community members are strongly urged to stay home and practice social distancing. In doing so, it is advised to only leave the house for essential purposes (e.g. groceries, medical, etc.).
These additional measures have been adopted by Council to help minimize the spread of COVID-19 in our community and to protect our most vulnerable populations. It is up to each one of us to do our part to reduce the spread of this virus, and we MUST take these measures seriously. Chief and Council would like to thank our local businesses that voluntarily took appropriate measures to reduce the potential spread of COVID-19.
Other measures will be considered at the next meeting of the COVID-19 Emergency Response Team, schedule for early this week, as well as a review of the questions and concerns being raised and how to best respond going forward. We again thank everyone for their patience, understanding and efforts to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. Together we can and will make a difference, just as we always have.
In Peace and Friendship,
Chief Darcy Gray